Subtext

I am a person and I refuse to be judged for my illness.
I am speaking out and hoping someone will listen...

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Imagine sitting at home, watching tv, after a long day doing whatever it is that you do when you aren't at home. It's an alright show, not particularly thrilling but better than anything else that's on, it hold's your attention. You shrug your shoulders--maybe you didn't even realize you were going to do it--you shrug them again. This is a simple motor tic, one creates a chain reaction. Now that you know it's happening you can try to suppress it, but you know that suppressing the tic will cause a flood of them once you relax. This is Tourette's syndrome.

Tourette's syndrome is a neurological disorder that causes various verbal and motor tics. Tics can be divided into simple and complex depending on the difficulty. Simple tics might be a bark, blinking, shrugging. Complex tics include repeating a word someone says, hopping; one of my old tics was dancing. The best way to combat the tics seems to be keeping your mind busy. Whether it stops the tics from happening or distracts you so you don't notice them, I don't know.

Reactive ticcing--if you've ever seen two or more people with Tourette's in the same space, you'll know what this is. Essentially, one of them tics and causes the others to start ticcing. Thinking about ticcing alone can cause them, seeing or having one has an even stronger effect.

Coprolalia--Ah, coprolalia, the go-to Tourette's stereotype. When people think of Tourette's, they automatically think of swearing randomly. But how common is it really? Only about 10% of Tourette's patients exhibit compulsive swearing. Usually it stems from an impulse to say something forbidden, not any desire on their part.

Tourette's Plus--Tourette's is a disorder that rarely occurs on it's own. OCD is the most common comorbid disorder and studies have confirmed a correlation between the two. ADHD is also common, though studies to find a neurological correlation have been inconclusive.

I think I have Tourette's, what do I do now?
If you have severe tics that hinder your daily life, such as tics where you touch strangers, then a doctor can give you medicine to lessen the severity of your tics. For most people, medicine is unnecessary and unwanted.  The comorbid conditions tend to cause more distress than the Tourette's does.

Tics themselves can change, must be present for at least one year, with a tic free period of no longer than three months, for a diagnosis. The onset must be before the age of 18, to meet the current diagnostic criteria. Even though I was diagnosed at 22, I had had symptoms for years, going all the way back to age six or seven, they were just not severe enough to recognize. I hummed and twirled mostly. My family was bothered by the humming more than anything else but assumed they were just normal childhood behaviors. I didn't notice anything was strange until I was 20 and started meowing. Fortunately it's low-key and often reactionary, so most people I meet don't notice it for weeks. If I'm around people who like to make sounds, however, it can happen to the point where I become self conscious--even anxious.

Even though the tics can be annoying, I find that I have a certain pride about it. Unlike many disorders, there is no associated pain or a shortened life-span, and mild cases like mine can easily be accepted as a quirk. I've actually had friends say they wouldn't want me to get rid of the tics, because they associate them with me. And they can be an awesome screening system to identify and get rid of jerks in the friend-making process.

1 comment: